Fundación Tierra Nueva is a non-profit organization legally created in 1992 by Father Jose Carollo, a visionary Italian priest who was recognized as a social and spiritual leader in Quito and in other cities of Ecuador; although its activities began in 1985.
Tierra Nueva provides services of health, education, attention for people with disabilities and social protection, especially aiming to help the youth and their families; carrying out more than 500 thousand attentions each year, mainly helping low income people.
Father José Carollo dreamed to build a modern hospital to provide with quality healthcare to the most unprivileged population of the southern part of Quito; the realization of his dream began in 1984, with just a small health center.
Furthermore, in 1988, the Tierra Nueva Medical Center was inaugurated, offering Rehabilitation, Physical and Language Therapy, Pediatrics, Gynecology and General Medicine services; the Obstetrics-Gynecology service started in 1992. In the same year, the foundation began working with international medical missions, starting with “Medical Mission for Children”, which carried out harelip surgeries.
In November 2000 began the construction of the “Hospital Un Canto a la Vida”, although it was originally named “Hospital Margie Luna”, to honor an Ecuadorian-American child, who passed away from leukemia in the United States.
The hospital was built with the aid and contributions of international donors, especially from the United States, Germany, Italy and Ecuador, as well as many Ecuadorian volunteers and was inaugurated in August 2010.
The “Un Canto a la Vida” Hospital (A Song for Life) has rapidly grown and developed since then; carrying out three thousand surgeries and more than five hundred thousand medical consultations only in 2016.
Our mission is to provide low-income patients with affordable, high-quality health services, thus, the price of a medical consultation with a specialist is $10.
The foundation is willing to cooperate with international medical missions and volunteers; therefore, annually five medical missions from the USA and Canada, such as HUGS Foundation, Medical Mission for Children, CAMTA and Timmy Global Health work with us.
Hospital Padre Carollo “Un Canto a la Vida”Infrastructure
- General hospitalization area (70 beds)
- Maternal and child hospitalization area
- 6 operating rooms: 4 general, 1 obstetrical and 1 dental
- Intensive Care Unit, Neonatology Service, Imaging Service
- Emergency Unit
- Clinical and Histopathological Laboratory
- General and Pediatric outpatient medical consultation
- Audiometry, Spirometry and Endoscopy
- Tierra Nueva Medical Center
- Mobile Unit
Other Social services of Fundación Tierra Nueva:
- Center for Integrated Child Development “El Niño”: Care for children 5-15 years old with severe and very severe disabilities.
Comprehensive Care Center for Adolescents and Youth
- Community Program: Care for people with disabilities outreach
- Day Care Center for the Elderly
- Day Care center for children
- Center for Young People with Disability: Attention to young people between the ages of 15 and 23 years with mild disabilities.
- Community Health Program: Mobile Unit, Primary health care